Projects per year
Ken Marfilius is the Director of the Falk College Office of Online and Distance Education and is an Assistant Teaching Professor in the School of Social Work.
Prior to his new appointment at Syracuse University, Marfilius served as the School of Social Work’s Undergraduate Program Director and a Visiting Teaching Professor in Falk College’s School of Social Work. He has taught courses on topics such as social work intervention, military culture and social work practice, psychopathology, and others. While active duty, Marfilius served in the U.S. Air Force Biomedical Science Corps in multiple roles: active duty clinical social worker, mental health therapist, family advocacy officer in charge, and as manager of the alcohol and drug prevention and treatment program. He was commissioned in 2012 and was discharged in 2016 having obtained the rank of captain. At the Barksdale Air Force Base, Marfilius served in a variety of mental health roles related to sexual assault prevention and response, suicide prevention, and traumatic stress. Marfilius has also worked for the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs at the Syracuse VA Medical Center in the Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program, and as a Disruptive Behavior Committee Member.
Marfilius has given several presentations and trainings, topics ranging from veteran cultural competence to trauma-informed care, at the Association for Humanistic Counseling National Conference, the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice, the National Science Foundation Trauma Research Training, SUNY Empire State College, Student Leadership Institute Mental Health Awareness, “Military Culture and Mental Health Awareness”, New York Air National Guard, In-Service Training ” Military Culture and Mental Health Practice”, NASW New York State Chapter, Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative, “The Relationship Between Military Culture and Social Work Practice”, and the United States Department of Veteran Affairs, among others. He received the Syracuse University for Disability Resources 2021 Faculty Recognition Award and the Syracuse University One University Assessment: 2021 Best Use of Results, Social Work BSSW Program.
Marfilius is the Faculty Specialist of the Health Resources and Services Administration: Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training (BHWET) Program for Professionals, an interdisciplinary collaboration training for integrated behavioral health care. He is the Principal Investigator of the George W. Bush, Team 43 Evaluation. He is the Co-Principal Investigator of the Intergenerational Transmission of Trauma in Military Families Falk College Research Center Seed Grant.
Marfilius is honored with an Air Force Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, and Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal. He is a recipient of the U.S. Air Force Health Professions Scholarship and the U.S. Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and has twice been awarded the Barksdale Air Force Base Medical Operations Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Quarter. Marfilius currently serves on several committees at Syracuse University, including his service as Chair of the Council on the Social Work Education Self-Study Steering Committee.
Marfilius earned a Doctorate in Clinical Social Work (D.S.W.) and Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) from the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice in 2018 and 2013, respectively. He earned a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Public Health from Syracuse University in 2011. He is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the State of North Carolina and is certified in Prolonged Exposure Therapy.
National Science Foundation Trauma Research Training
- Served as primary faculty for the 2021 Undergraduate Trauma Research Training program is a National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Education for Undergraduates (REU) program, a collaborative venture between Syracuse University, SUNY Oswego, and SUNY Upstate Medical University
HSH 101: First-Year Gateway Course
- Academic and psycho-social tasks associated with the successful transition to college and the first-year experience. Focus on assisting students in acquiring academic, personal, and interpersonal knowledge and skills necessary for college students.
SWK 401: Strategies of Social Work Intervention I
- Prepares undergraduate students for beginning social work interventions. Theories of practice and rehearsal of problem and communication skills with individuals, families, and groups in client, target, and action systems.
SWK 402: Strategies of Social Work Intervention II
- The target audience for this course are undergraduate social work students. Intervention with individuals, families, and groups in the context of agencies, organizations, and communities.
SWK 400/600: Introduction to Military Culture and Social Work Practice
- Independently developed a syllabus and subsequently instructed a first time elective social work practice course on military culture and social work practice at Syracuse University
SWK 427/627: Introduction to Military Culture and Mental Health Practice
- Course was revised and developed into a hybrid online course format to meet the demands of the modern-day e-learning environment. Course format is highly accessible, interactive, and relational.
SWK 601: Fundamentals of Social Work Practice I
- The target audience for this course are graduate social work students who are in the foundation year of their program. This course introduces direct practice in social work.
SWK 690: Independent Study
SWK 724: Psychopathology
- Instructing graduate students on stressful processes of human living, focusing on attitudinal and behavioral responses that may be maladaptive.
SWK 733: Social Work Practice in Mental Health
- Instructing masters level students on advanced practice in clinical social work concentration. Focuses on integration of knowledge in social work program, while including group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and professional use of self-perspective.
Service to Syracuse University School of Social Work
- August 2021-Present: MSW Field Instructor
- May 2021-Present: Online MSW Faculty Advisor
- September 2020-Present: Admissions Committee Member
- August 2020-August 2021: BSSW Program Committee Chair
- May 2020-August 2021: Online MSW Implementation Lead
- May 2020-August 2020: Lead Writer: CSWE Substantive Change Report for new Online MSW Program
- August 2018-August 2021: Chair-Council on Social Work Education Self-Study Steering Committee
- August 2018-Present: Assessment Committee Member
- August 2018-August 2020: Advanced Clinical Practice Concentration Committee Member
- August 2018-August 2020: MSW Program Committee Member
- August 2018-August 2019: MSW Student Advisor
- August 2018-Present: Social Work Department Student Veteran Liaison
- September 2018-Present: Social Justice Planning Committee Member
- December 2018-August 2021: Faculty Advisor for Social Workers United (SWU)-Graduate Student Organization
- January 2019-August 2021: BSSW Program Committee Member
- June 2019-May 2020: Online MSW Program Working Group
- August 2019-Present: Coordinator, Military Culture and Mental Health Practice Focus Specialization
- August 2019-August 2021: BSSW Advisor
- October 2019: Coordinator, Veteran Cultural Competency Training and Theater of War Performance
Service to David B. Falk Collge of Sport and Human Dynamics
- November 2019-Present: Syracuse University Falk College Scholar Committee
Presenter, SUNY Empire State College, Student Leadership Institute Mental Health Awareness, “Military Culture and Mental Health Awareness”. May 2021
Presenter, New York Air National Guard, In-Service Training, “Military Culture and Mental Health Practice,” February 2021.
Presenter, NASW New York State Chapter, Palisades, New York, Veterans Mental Health Training Initiative, “The Relationship Between Military Culture and Social Work Practice”. January 2021
Keynote Speaker, Syracuse University, Zeta Gamma Chapter of the Phi Alpha Honor Society, Syracuse, NY: “More Empathy, Less Greed, More Respect”. April 2020
Presenter, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY: “Veteran Cultural Competency Training: Step into the Shoes of Veterans”. October 2019
Presenter, Social Work Practice Fellows, Syracuse, NY, A Tuition Based Professional Development Program: “Teaching Content and Process of the Social Work Assessment/Trauma Informed Supervision from a Social Justice Lens”. October 2019
Moderator, Syracuse University Falk College, Syracuse, NY, “The Veterans’ Voice: A Panel Discussion on Military Culture, Resilience, and the Familial Impact”. March 2019
Presenter, Syracuse University Veterans Affinity Group, Syracuse, NY, “Military Social Work”. March 2019
Presenter, Social Work Practice Fellows, Syracuse, NY, A Tuition Based Professional Development Program: “Teaching Social Work Assessment Skills”. October 2018
Presenter, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY: “Military Families and the Challenges of Integrating back into the Civilian Sector”. April 2017.
Presenter, United States Department of Veteran Affairs, Syracuse, NY: “Trauma Informed Care: ACE and Motivational Interviewing”. April 2017.
Presenter, Association for Humanistic Counseling National Conference, Marriot Syracuse Downtown: “Living our Humanism: Utilizing an Existential Paradigm with Military Service Members and Veterans”. June 2017.
Presenter, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, The Annual Spring Field Instructor Workshop Continuing Education Lecture: “The Warrior’s Provider from Bootcamp to Discharge: Introduction to Military Culture and Social Work Practice with Service Members, Veterans and their Families”. June 2017.
Presenter, University of Pennsylvania School of Social Policy and Practice Guest Lecture: “Trauma Informed Care, Housing First, and Critical Time Intervention for Veteran Homelessness”. June 2017.
Presenter, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, Continuing Education Lecture: “The Warrior’s Provider from Bootcamp to Discharge: Introduction to Military Culture and Social Work Practice with Service Members, Veterans, and their Families”. October 2016.
- Syracuse University Center for Disability Resources 2021 Faculty Recognition Award
- Syracuse University One University Assessment: 2021 Best Use of Results, Social Work BSSW Program
- United States Air Force Commendation Medal
- Barksdale Air Force Base Medical Operations Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Quarter; Jul 2015-Sep 2015
- Barksdale Air Force Base Medical Operations Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Quarter; Oct 2013-Dec 2013
- United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program Recipient; September 2012
- United States Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Licenses/Certificates & Formal Training:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certification/License No C009609, Expiration 06/2023 State of North Carolina
- Certified in Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Completed two-week Center for Deployment Psychology Course and received formal training on the following topics:
- Suicide in the deployed setting
- Deployment Psychopharmacology
- Deployment cycle and its impact on family
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Response for Deployment Mental Health Providers
- Understanding and Treating Chronic Pain
Featured Media Coverage
Tea for Teaching Podcast. (October 13, 2021). Military-Affiliated Students. Retrieved from https://teaforteaching.com/209-military-affiliated-students/
19th News. (Sep 17, 2021). ‘I just see nothing but voids’: As combat ends, women veterans fight trauma and grief. Retrieved from https://19thnews.org/2021/09/as-combat-ends-women-veterans-fight-trauma-and-grief/
7 News WWNYTV. (Sep 2, 2021). End of Afghanistan War Puts Spotlight on Mental Health of Soldiers, Veterans. Retrieved from https://www.wwnytv.com/2021/09/02/end-afghanistan-war-puts-spotlight-mental-health-soldiers-veterans/
Syracuse University News. (Sep 1, 2021). There is Strength In Seeking Help’ Says Veterans Mental Health Advocate. Retrieved from https://news.syr.edu/blog/2021/09/01/there-is-strength-in-seeking-help-says-veterans-mental-health-advocate/
Military.com (Aug 24, 2021). 'Cheated and Guilty': The Struggle for Troops Who Missed Out on Combat. Retrieved from https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/08/24/cheated-and-guilty-struggle-troops-who-missed-out-combat.html
Syracuse University News. (June 24, 2021). To Tackle Veteran PTSD, Get to People Before They Join the Military. Retrieved from https://news.syr.edu/blog/2021/06/24/to-tackle-veteran-ptsd-get-to-people-before-they-join-the-military/
ABC 6. (June 22, 2021). 'An American problem': Suicide rates rising among service members, vets of post-9/11 wars. Retrieved from https://abc6onyourside.com/news/nation-world/an-american-problem-suicide-rates-rising-among-service-members-vets-of-post-911-wars
Syracuse Post Standard. (April 8, 2021). ‘I got my life back’: Syracuse’s innovative way of battling suicide makes a difference. Retrieved from https://www.syracuse.com/health/2021/04/i-got-my-life-back-syracuses-innovative-way-of-battling-suicide-makes-a-difference.html.
Bridge Street, WSYR-Syracuse. (September 10, 2020). Know How You Can Help on World Suicide Prevention Day. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/know-how-you-can-help-on-world-suicide-prevention-day/
Spectrum News. (September 9, 2020). MHM: Suicide Prevention Month During a Rise in Mental Health Needs Due to Pandemic. Retrieved from https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/wny-mental-health/2020/09/09/mental-health-musings--suicide-prevention-month-during-a-rise-in-mental-health-needs-due-to-pandemic
FOX News. (May 22, 2020). Importance of PTSD Treatment among veterans and what we can do to help. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://video.foxnews.com/v/6158563098001#sp=show-clips
CBS Los Angeles. (May 21, 2020). Pandemic Hitting Veterans Hard. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video/4559764-pandemic-hitting-veterans-hard/
CBS Minnesota. (May 21, 2020). How COVID-19 Is Impacting the Veteran Community. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/4559813-how-covid-19-is-impacting-the-veteran-community/
USAGNET. (August 30, 2019). Could More Time Off for Military Provide Mental Health Benefits? Retrieved from www.usagnet.com/state_headlines/state_story.php?tble=NY2019&ID=920
Medical Express. (August 28, 2019). Could More Time Off for Military Members Provide Mental Health Benefits? Retrieved from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-military-members-mental-health-benefits.html
Hill.TV. (June 28, 2019). Kenneth Marfilius Discusses Causes and Effects of PTSD [Video File]. Retrieved from https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/450860-kenneth-marfilius-discusses-causes-and-effects-of-ptsd
WAER-FM. (June 28, 2019). Could Childhood Trauma Lead to More PTSD in Solders, Veterans, & Others. Retrieved from https://www.waer.org/post/could-childhood-trauma-lead-more-ptsd-soldiers-veterans-others-new-syracuse-univ-research
570 WSYR Radio. (June 27, 2019). Professor Kenneth Marfilius, Syracuse University-PTSD Awareness Day: Its Impact on Veterans and Society. Retrieved from https://www.iheart.com/podcast/98-dave-allen-on-570-wsyr-30301588/episode/professor-kenneth-marfilius-syracuse-university-ptsd-46476888/
WCNY’s Connect New York. (May 13, 2019). Beyond PTSD: Veterans, Health & Society [Video File]. Retrieved from https://video.wcny.org/video/505-beyond-ptsd-veterans-health-society-qhliap/
School of Social Policy and Practice, Doctorate in Clinical Social Work, Dissertation: The Warrior’s Provider from Bootcamp Through Discharge: Educating and Training and Army of Social Work Students Towards Clinical and Cultural Competence with Service Members, Veterans, and their Families, University of Pennsylvania
Award Date: May 13 2018
School of Policy and Practice, Master of Social Work, University of Pennsylvania
Award Date: May 12 2013
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Minor in Public Health, Human Ecology, Syracuse University
Award Date: May 15 2011
Housing and Urban Development of Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD VASH) Program Coordinator; Disruptive Behavior Committee Member, Syracuse Veteran's Affairs Medical Center
Jun 2016 → Aug 2018
Alcohol and Drug Prevention and Treatment Program Manager, United States Air Force-Biomedical Science Corps, Barksdale AFB, LA
May 2015 → Jan 2016
Family Advocacy Officer in Charge, United States Air Force-Biomedical Science Corps, Barksdale AFB, LA
May 2014 → May 2016
Active Duty Clinical Social Worker, Mental Health Therapist, United States Air Force-Biomedical Science Corps, Barksdale AFB, LA
Jul 2013 → May 2016
- Military mental health
- Military families
- veteran social work
- domestic violence
- suicide prevention
- substance use prevention and treatment
- military culture
- social work practice
- 1 Finished
SP32233-2 - Team 43 Evaluation
12/7/20 → 8/31/21
Project: Sponsored Project
- 1 Paper
Trauma and Resilience Among Veterans during the COVID-19 PandemicWang, X., Marfilius, K. J., Smith, C. J. & Genovese, J., Jan 14 2022.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-review