S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University
Professor of Practice (August 2018 - Present)
- Designed MND 505: Digital News & Innovation and teaches the multimedia reporting and producing class every semester that emphasizes interactive storytelling, data visualization, social media, traffic analytics and digital content management in conjunction with producing TheNewsHouse.com.
- Teaches the Digital News Leadership that focuses on content production, digital editing and management training for The NewsHouse leadership team.
- Coordinates with faculty colleagues to utilize The NewsHouse as an outlet for student publishing opportunities and training platform for editing, reporting, photography, video production and traffic analytics.
- Leads a team of faculty and student coordinators on award-winning schoolwide initiatives since 2018 that provides students across nearly all Newhouse majors each year with substantial field reporting and digital production experiences.
Communications@Syracuse Course Instructor (Oct. 2015 - Present)
- Teaches COM 627: Social Media for Communicators, an 11-week course focused on digital marketing strategy and social media aspects of the advertising, public relations and journalism industries.
- Developed COM 627’s second course iteration including syllabus design, video instruction and live session planning, plus served as lead instructor.
- Oversaw team of instructors while teaching ICC 602: Introduction to Digital Communications course live sessions for three sessions.
Collaborative Media Room General Manager (Sept. 2007 - August 2018)
- Created and launched The NewsHouse website in 2009 as a campus media outlet that enabled hands-on training and published work for student journalists.
- Designed and taught original iterations of Web Journalism & Innovation and Advanced Web Journalism since 2008 and 2009 respectively.
- Led digital training and social media initiatives, working directly with faculty, undergraduates and graduate students in newspaper, magazine and broadcast journalism departments.
PalmBeachPost.com West Palm Beach, Fla.
Online Editorial Director (March 2005 - Sept. 2007)
- Supervised staff of 11 producers responsible for 24/7 news coverage, photos, interactivity and multimedia content for the market’s No. 1 local media site.
- Executed new product initiatives including community efforts, video and audio integration, redesigns and cross promotion with print and media partners.
Internet Operations Content Manager (Oct. 2003 - March 2005)
- Managed editorial and entertainment sites along with business initiatives such as launch of Spanish language site, LaPalmaInteractivo.com.
GoPBI.com Site Manager (Jan. 2000 - Sept. 2003)
- Oversaw day-to-day operations, budgeting and staffing for Cox Interactive Media’s utility-based city site that supported The Post, TV and radio partners and more than 300 nonprofit groups.
Content/Storm Producer (Oct. 1996 - Jan. 2000)
- Developed news content including one of the web’s most extensive hurricane resources for storm tracking.
Herald-Journal Spartanburg, S.C.
Online Coordinator (June 1996 - Oct. 1996)
- Launched original GoUpstate.com, a community-oriented site with daily news, sports and entertainment content.
General Assignment Reporter (June 1995 - Oct. 1996)
- Covered politics, crime and features for five communities including Greer, plus wrote entertainment and music profiles.
The Palm Beach Post West Palm Beach, Fla.
News Reporting Intern (Jan.-May 1995)
The Independent Florida Alligator Gainesville, Fla.
Online Editor (Aug.-Dec. 1994)
- Creator and founding online editor for Alligator.org
Editor-in-Chief and Staffer (Sept. 1990 – Aug. 1994)
- Served in multiple editor and reporter roles for the nation’s top independent student newspaper